6.18.2012

Happy Father’s Day!! Sex vs. Gender


Why? Why is it that every time I go to spend time with my family, doesn’t matter which side, such debates have to come up? And why am I always alone? My family is huge. There must be someone that thinks like me. Either way…

I’m not usually text book about things, but when it comes to this topic, I do believe that there is a difference between sex and gender. And I believe it’s true because they are real people who prove it. There are people who’s gender isn’t the same as their sex. The science and the dictionary don’t really matter to me. It’s about the people. I can’t argue with how people feel about themselves. But of course, my family wouldn’t dare believe it. They believe that sex determines gender, no exceptions.

I can’t even with these people sometimes. The ignorance around me is astounding. 

I like to keep out of people’s business. If you were born a female but identify as a man, who am I to say otherwise? Who am I to tell you or anyone else that what you are saying is wrong. Who am I to tell you that what you feel is wrong? This is someone else’s reality.  

I can’t understand how anyone thinks that it’s okay to say that someone else’s life is wrong. That someone else’s way of thinking is wrong. Let’s be honest with ourselves here. This has nothing to do with other people being wrong and everything to do with these people being right. And why are they right? Because the old books that were written by sexist men generations ago, the book they say they live by says so. These books say that what’s in the book is right, and the people who believe in any given one of these books are right, and everyone else can fuck off. (And I say books because I'm not referring to one religion only.)

I am not in a position to tell anyone that what they think, feel or believe is wrong. But if you are gonna tell me that I am wrong in my thinking, feelings and beliefs, then we’re going to have a serious problem. I am going to defend myself. I’m just sick of being teamed up on.

And what got me the most was the laughing. They laughed throughout the whole conversation. I took it very personally. It’s so disgusting that anyone would laugh at someone else’s struggles, at someone else’s life. 

I'm so torn. I can't just sit silently while I listen to other people spew offensive shit out of their mouths. But I'm so sick of the battles. Why can't we all just accept each other's differences instead of putting other people down? Is that too much to ask?

And now, I leave you with this...

Reblogged on tumblr from Laci Green.

2 comments:

  1. grr I posted a comment but it went :( but I say stick to your guns as they are completely different things and what we pee with doesn't determine who we are mentally. Sometimes people think the world and society is a black and white thing but there are shades of grey and this is one of them. Shame really that people are scared of things that don't affect them. (joneseybobblewhore btw ^^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! Thanks for your comment and support.

    p.s. Your blog is too awesome for words. HFL (Hiddles For Life)

    ReplyDelete