7.05.2012

Frank Ocean


I’m not going to make a habit of putting in my two cents every time a celebrity comes out, but this one’s important. I talked about Anderson Cooper because I’m a fan of the man. But Frank Ocean? I didn’t even know who he was until yesterday.

When I first heard the news, I thought he was a basketball player. Don’t ask me why my mind went there. I immediately got excited, because an athlete coming out is kind of a big deal. But then my brother told me that he’s an R&B singer. Then I thought “Oh. Okay, well good for him.” Tried to move on with my day, but I couldn’t drop it for some reason, and now I know why.

Frank Ocean is black. Ok, well that’s obvious. But that makes this so much more of a bigger deal, to me at least, than Anderson Cooper coming out. How many famous black people do you know of identify with the LGBQ community or anything else that isn’t heterosexual? Wanda Sykes. That’s it for me. She’s the only person that comes to mind. This doesn’t happen often. And let’s be honest with ourselves, the black community on a whole, at least in North America, has never been on the supportive side of things LGBTQ related. So the fact that a black man would let the world know this about him is a huge step forward. There’s always gonna be haters, but look what I just found on tumblr

Amazing. Don't remember seeing Ocean identifying with a specific label, but you get the point.

The world is changing people, and it’s changing for the better. After Cooper came out, I had a little convo with one of my cousins on FB and he thinks things are getting worse. I got the impression that he liked it better when people weren’t so open about themselves. But I told him, and I’ll tell you. “I think things are better now than they were in the not so distant past. And I would love to live to see the day where everyone feels safe and comfortable with who they are. No more closets. No more fear.”


So here’s to you Mr. Ocean. I may not be familiar with your music. But I’m supporting you anyways. You have made a difference, and for that I am thankful.

Click here for picture source.

No comments:

Post a Comment