7.19.2012

What’s Wrong With This Picture?

First off, I would just like to say that my thoughts are with anybody and everybody who has been affected in anyway by the July 16th shooting in Scarborough. I cannot begin to imagine what you are going though right now.

I wasn’t going to post anything on here about the shooting, but then I saw this… 




At first I thought I was looking into this a little too much. But then I started asking around and have come to the conclusion that yes, there is something wrong with this picture. This is the cover of yesterday's Toronto Star.

I don’t have a problem with the write-ups done on Shyanne Charles and Joshua Yasay, but I do have an issue with the pictures that were printed. Did anyone from the Toronto Star bother to ask for Shyanne’s graduation picture?


I think that we all need to look a little closer at what the media is presenting to us and how they’re presenting it. This is nothing new. It’s 2012, and clearly we still have a long ways to go, but the media is not going to change any time soon. This upsets me so much. I don't even know what else to say about it.

And then of course there’s this… 

Also in yesterday’s Toronto Star. 

Did the Toronto Star really think this was appropriate? In a time when everyone is the media, thanks to social networking and blogs, one would think that the professionals would be a little more careful about what they are presenting to us. I don't think they realize how quick people are to go elsewhere for news. Upsetting people during such a painful time for many is not the way to go. There are so many reasons why this picture should have never been printed. This is just irresponsible, and it's causing you to lose readers.

Some food for thought. Thanks for reading.



Any thoughts?


Click here for image source.
Second image taken from twitter.

2 comments:

  1. Very thoughtful, and I agree with you 100%. I can't believe that a majour outlet like Toronto Star would succumb to this. Send a letter/email to their editor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mike.
    I was going to do that, but then I thought, "Why keep this behind the scenes?" If they're going put this kind of stuff out there, I'll do the same. If they're not going to be subtle, then why should I be?

    ReplyDelete