3.05.2013

First Class

Classes began for me today, but not so interesting. Many students, and even some teachers, had another day of orientation, so at first just me and one other student. My  teacher (선생님) was one of the ones who was at orientation so I was in the next room for the day. But both me and the other student are in the same class, so no show for our temporary teacher. It wasn't until after first break that three more students came to class. 

So the day is set up that we have one teacher for the first half and then someone else comes in for second half. Our first temporary teacher went super slow with teaching Hangul. I was actually close to tears cause I don't know why I have to do all this again. I felt like all the hard work I put into studying Korean had gone to waste. She was really nice, but I couldn't stand having to go over the basic vowels again for two hours. Then our next teacher came and taught complex vowels (diphthongs). She went much faster and I was very relieved, but still wasn't impressed with all this reviewing.

After my class was done I went to lunch with Daphne and one of her classmates, Max. We went to my favourite place. Yes, I already have a favourite place to eat. The ladies who work there love me. Who wouldn't right? 

Here’s what we had… 

뚝배기 불고기 (ddukbaegi bulgogi) and I'm 99% sure that’s 김치 볶음밥 (kimchi fried rice)
Daphne and I had the same thing so just took a picture of one each. 

Then I went to the book store with Daphne to pick up my books. I'd like to take this moment to point out that my text and workbook cost a grand total of 34,000₩ ($32.02CAD). What are you on Canada? After that I spotted the Global Centre and we decided to check it out. Very quiet place to study. A must at the beginning of any school year. I went to look through the textbook topics and was slightly disappointed. I feel like the topics covered in the book could be done easily in two months, but as far as I know we're just doing one book. I went back to the book store to see what's in the second book and I'm clearly not ready for that, so I'm stuck. Here's to hoping that tomorrow we power through all the consonants and move on to more challenging things. Also hope my real teachers are as good as the two we had today.

No comments:

Post a Comment