3.03.2013

KHU Orientation

After Daphne (my roommate) and I got settled, we went to bed. Thankfully I got plenty of rest. I am convinced that this whole jetlag thing is a myth. Either that or I'm immune. I feel fine, but that might have something to do with the fact that I have terrible sleep patterns in Canada. So that's ok. 

Thursday February 28th 2013 

Before we went to orientation, we went into the 711 and I made my first purchase in Korea!! It was just two boxed orange juice, a.k.a breakfast. Orientation began at nine in the morning. We had to ask someone where the building is. I couldn't remember what the name of the building was called, so we had to use the English name. No luck. But I finally remembered and the man told us how to get there.

Lots of students in the lecture room when we arrived. Got our admission certificates, found out how to pay for dorm and took a lot of notes on all the other dry admin stuff. >< But it wasn't so bad. Still in honeymoon phase and I am okay with whatever. Then we got introduced to our buddy, MinSeon. (I say we so much cause Daphne and I have the same buddy and we've done a lot together.) But we didn't meet our real buddy, Sooin, until later cause she hadn't arrived yet. Then everyone went out to take a group picture in front of main building I think it was. I'll post it here when they post it. And then off we were for lunch. 

불고기 (bulgogi), one of my favourites. 
Click here for more pictures from my first few days 

Second part of orientation we had some more admin stuff and we got a much anticipated presentation from the group that organises many events/outings for the Korean students to be involved with international/exchange students. Makes me feel so welcome. haha At MUN, we have a buddy program but I didn't know they had that here, cause you have to sign up for this at my school. But at KHU, it’s automatic. Everyone gets a buddy. Pleasant surprise. And it is student-run from what I can tell. Final of the presentations was from someone who works at the Seoul Global *Centre. Seems like a great resource for foreigners.

*It’s actually 'center' but I'm too Canadian for that. Haha

After all of that, everyone went on a campus tour, but the group was too big so I could never hear where we were. But I guess it doesn't matter since I just need to know where my class is and library and bank.

I'm so excited for this school year. In my first semester I only have to worry about studying Korean. Four hours a day plus living amongst people who speak it. My understanding will undoubtedly surpass my Japanese. That's a little sad but it's not so easy when you don't have people to practice with. But I have actually already had a chance to practice Japanese on my way to placement test. I met someone on the way and we spoke in Japanese. She told me that my pronunciation is very good. Whut Whut!! Haha

Ok, that's good for now. Opening ceremony tomorrow!!


15 comments:

  1. What are you studying there and for how long? I wanna study there too when i have the chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First semester I'm doing the Korean language program. In second semester I'll take mainly courses in Philosophy and Sociology (depending on what's offered).
      You should apply as soon as you can! ^.^ Where are you from?

      Delete
    2. I'm from Sweden. Do you speak any Korean at the moment and are you just gonna study there for one year? :)

      Delete
    3. Very cool. I wish to visit there one day.
      I speak little Korean, but it has proven to be very useful so far. And yes, just one year. Although I hope to come back to Korea for my Master's.

      Delete
    4. How much did it cost if I may ask?

      Delete
    5. And do you know for how long you can study at most at the IIE if you were to study there? ^^

      Delete
    6. Anon, Cost of an exchange vary greatly depending on your home institution. Tuition is paid to your home school. For me housing is much cheaper here than in Canada, and I already pay less than most provinces. I went form $1500-$2000/sem to $1100/sem. Food is also cheaper here for me. I managed to get a plane ticket for less than $850CAD. And I'm not really a big shopper, although I have taking a liking to buying baby wipes. haha So spending money will vary too.

      Johan, I know someone who is studying at IIE for the whole year. No break. But in this situation, she is here on scholarship and it is required for her to take Korean language before she begins her undergrad. I'm sure if I wanted to take Korean language for two semesters, with break, I could, but I wouldn't get credits I need.

      Delete
    7. Okok. A few more questions.

      1. So if i want to study there for a year i have to be there on scholarship or else i can only go for 10 weeks?

      2. How long is one semester?

      Delete
    8. As I said, I'm sure you can do a whole year on exchange, but it won't be worth it unless your home school has Korean language courses (easier to transfer credits). And even still, it will put you behind on your degree. But if time is not an issue, go for it. You don't need a scholarship to do a year long exchange. I don't have one. A semester is 16 weeks.

      Hope this helps. ^_^

      Delete
    9. Is it possible to get in even if you're not an exchange student? If you just graduated from high school?

      Delete
    10. It doesn't look like you can do full semester (16w) program unless you're an exchange student. I think 10 and 3 week programs are open to anyone, as long as you're at least 18yo. Good luck!! ^_^

      http://eng.iie.ac.kr/contents/bbs/bbs_content.html?bbs_cls_cd=003004002001

      There is contact info here...
      http://eng.iie.ac.kr/contents/bbs/bbs_content.html?bbs_cls_cd=003004002005

      Delete
  2. Great blog post :) I'll be looking out for more ! Have fun !

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahahaha I would definitely have spelled it 're' as well. That's so awesome you're in Korea, and you're right you will learn the language fast so long as you go out of your way to speak with locals. I lived in Japan for 6 months and learned so much that way. Of course that was nearly 5 years ago and most of the language has fallen out of my brain by now. But anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no!! I'm so worried about losing any language I learn.
      Where in Japan did you live? Was it an exchange you did? I've always wanted to live in Ishikawa.

      Delete