4.12.2013

PSY: Gentleman

What a year it's been for PSY. Remember how excited I was when Gangnam Style came out? I think it was shock at first more than anything. haha I didn't even know he had anything on the go until after it happened. But I had time to prepare for Gentleman. I have to admit though; I wasn't as hyped about the arrival of this new song. I feel like there’s this huge expectation for the song to be bigger and better than Gangnam Style. Everybody's watching, and in case of bad feedback, I don't want to hear anything bad about PSY. lol It would break me. So I was more nervous about the reaction than the song itself. 

Another reason why I wasn't hyped at first about this release is because I'm not the biggest fan of '6甲 Part 1', but I will forever love 'PSYFIVE'. So if the new single was going to continue in the direction of his latest album then it probably wouldn't be for me. 


So with that said, I am proud to announce that I am a huge fan of Gentleman. I'm not worried about any bad reactions anymore, cause whatever, it's brilliant. The first time I listened to it my reaction was "Oh?" haha I don't know what I was expecting, but I didn't quite get it. It wasn't 'PSYFIVE' and it wasn't '6甲 Part 1'. It was different. So I listened to it again, and I think it clicked. Gentleman isn't for Gangnam Style fans, it is for PSY fans. Like wow. Thank you.

I've only been in Korea a month and a half, but there are two things I've noticed when in a club here. The music is different and the dancing is different. Well obviously right? But as I listened to the song for the second time, I thought "I could seriously see my friends dancing to this song in the club. They already have the moves." Later confirmed by PSY in an interview where he said that the dance for this song is one that every Korean knows. So KPop fans need not worry. This man knows what he's doing.

At the end of the day, I really like Gentleman and I honestly think it's better than Gangnam Style. But in terms of success of the song, I feel like it's impossible to be a bigger hit. I seriously can't wrap my head around the ides of anything being bigger than the catchy song with the horse dance.

PSY 화이팅!!

 Image from here 

No comments:

Post a Comment