3.14.2014

On Languages

Another Friday night by myself...

Sitting here listening to Louis Jean Cornier and convincing myself that I am finally ready to learn French. Again. I have tried in the past, but I've come to the conclusion that it's impossible to learn a language when there's a shit load of pressure to just know it. People often blamed my lack of skill in French on me just not wanting to learn the language, and that was true for school, but I tried in Katimavik. Not successful though. Its kind of hard to speak a language without a decent vocabulary. So telling a beginner to tell you about their day at the dinner table is not going to work. Fuck! Give me time. Korea was no better with this. So much pressure to speak in only Korean. Would be easy if I knew how to say anything. Cannot make a whole damn paragraph in a foreign language without a lot of time and a dictionary by my side. 

My official second language is Japanese. It sucks now, but when I was at my best, I was comfortable with it. Not because I was good, I was never fluent. But I was comfortable with it because I had a patient teacher who didn't push us through the material and pressure us to be able to spit out good sentences right off the bat. Heck, look at all the rules I break when writing in English. When I went on to study Japanese on my own, I had enough confidence in myself to keep picking up new things, and it helped. When I entered university Japanese, I flew through those courses with ease. 

Confidence is key to learning a new language, and it won't come out of barking down someone's throat or expecting too much from them too soon. So this spring I will give French a try again. I'll only be taking one other course so I think I'll be able to manage. And when I return to Toronto for the summer I hope I can sign up for another Korean course. A relaxed one. I know I'll do a decent job. Korean grammar is the easiest part of the language for me, so all the focus will go into building my vocab. Now all I gotta do is suffer through these next few weeks of classes and I'll have a nice three week long break full of watching Doctor Who and The Tudors.

Happy Language Learning!!

Super bored one from back in Korea.


No comments:

Post a Comment